Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

New DD in the 35-50k range?

I'm thinking about getting a new daily, just tried the new 8V S3 and B9 S4 and liked both. The S3 had more direct turn in than the S4 but felt a little slower and will probably have less tuning potential.

Testing the C43 and GLC43 next.

What do you guys daily drive and what do you suggest? I want to try as much as possible before making a decision. Looking at both new and used. Price target of 30-50k.

Cheers,

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    243 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Get any of those and add a JB4, you'll be satisfied. Click here to enlarge
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Payam@BMS Click here to enlarge
    Get any of those and add a JB4, you'll be satisfied.
    You know that's the plan all along!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

No 340i with B58 goodness on your list? W that price range, a S6 could be had too.

Don't know how far is your commute but a low mileage 07-08 Carrera S is in the 40kish.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    243 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by nbrigdan Click here to enlarge
    You know that's the plan all along!
    C43 is pretty popular and really good gains with the JB4.
    Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

I was just in this boat about 6-months ago. $45k was my top, but here were my thoughts, what I decided on and what I’d consider if I had $50k as my top as well:

340 x-drive: It was fast. But interior was not my favorite. Exterior styling left a little to be desired IMHO. Felt big and aloof compared to my E90 335.
    S5 Sportback: loved it. Felt big though. Interior was amazing. Loved virtual cockpit. Was slightly above what I wanted to spend.
    C43: didn’t drive one. Loved the interior. Pricing seemed good for a year old one. Loved the sport exhaust. Likely the fastest of the cars I considered. Didn’t care for the styling and would have loved if it had been 12” smaller.
    S6: decided against because of the size. I was wanting something smaller and more tossable. But interior was great loved the styling.

In the end I bought an ‘18 S3. Found one in nano gray with low miles and every option (including res delete from the factory which greatly enhances the sound). The interior is fantastic. It’s small and fun to drive. Faster than my 335 was stock. The ‘18 has the 7-sp DSG which is fantastic. Love all the gadgets (the dynamic turn signals, the virtual cockpit, etc). I find reasons to drive it. The Audi exterior styling is all very similar across the line now, but it looks fantastic on the 8V platform. At some point, a stage2 setup will get me a super reliable high 11sec car for not much money (DP, tune/JB4, DSG tune).

Having said all this, if I had $50k to spend right now, I’d buy a used RS3. They’re coming down in price (slowly), you get all the benefits of the S3 (size, interior, styling, tech) but you also get the glorious 5cyl engine.

You'll be happy with any of those cars you mentioned, but I do love the 8V platform.

-Rich

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    One other comment: I really loved my 335. The size, the driving dynamics, etc. The S3 was the closest to that IMO. Within a couple inches of the 335 in length. Weighs about the same to slightly less (and that’s with AWD - my 335 was RWD). Steering feel isn’t quite as good, but better than most cars these day. Love the black optics package too. Definitely a must depending on what color you get.

-Rich

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I lied - another couple comments:

It may be hard to find a S3 for sale as they are on stop sale due to the passenger airbag recall. But that is slowly getting better I believe.

And lots of people commenting that they are getting ‘19 S3s new for $7k+ off (so sticker of $52k in the sub $45k range). I always take brags like that with a grain of salt (my take is if you’re happy with the price then you did well - don’t sweat what someone else claims to have gotten). I paid $39.9k for mine with 14k miles - probably a touch on the high-side but it was literally exactly what I wanted. I was happy.

-Rich

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by richpike Click here to enlarge
    In the end I bought an ‘18 S3. Found one in nano gray with low miles and every option (including res delete from the factory which greatly enhances the sound). The interior is fantastic. It’s small and fun to drive.
    That's the exact spec I test drove and I loved it. The price was phenomenal too.

I also appreciate what you're saying about the RS3 also. Unfortunately all the ones nearby are at the top of my price bracket really, making the S3 seem like the car I'm really leaning towards. Save a $#@! ton of money, tune the S3, lower insurance and better fuel economy... but no denying that the RS3 would take its lunch money in any sort of race.

Thanks for the detailed comment by the way. Next on my list to test drive is the M340i or whatever they are calling it now.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by quattr0 Click here to enlarge
    No 340i with B58 goodness on your list? W that price range, a S6 could be had too.

Don't know how far is your commute but a low mileage 07-08 Carrera S is in the 40kish.
    M340i is on the list! I'll probably test drive it in the next few days here. S6 a bit big and too much of a gentleman's car for me haha.

The Carrera would definitely be a fun option but I'm not sure about going that old, I think for the DD I want something with at least 2 years of warranty left.

Just test drove a C43 sedan today, really great car but it was a bit boring to drive. It's so subdued and nothing is a hassle, fast for sure but not exciting. I also did a few drags of my modded S5 vs my buddy's stock C43 and my S5 cleaned him every time. So it would need a tune for sure...

Next up to test:

Alfa Guila, BMW M340i, and maybe the weird Infiniti 400 Red Sport or whatever it's called?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Q3 RS?

Actually, not out yet and probably over the price.

S3 sedan then.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    That's the exact spec I test drove and I loved it. The price was phenomenal too.

I also appreciate what you're saying about the RS3 also. Unfortunately all the ones nearby are at the top of my price bracket really, making the S3 seem like the car I'm really leaning towards. Save a $#@! ton of money, tune the S3, lower insurance and better fuel economy... but no denying that the RS3 would take its lunch money in any sort of race.

Thanks for the detailed comment by the way. Next on my list to test drive is the M340i or whatever they are calling it now.
    The latest M340i appears to be a beast. I test drove the F30.

Since I seem to have diarrhea of the mouth, Iím going to throw out another comment Click here to enlarge Just did a 250 mile round trip and averaged 36mpg. Yes, that was via the onboard computer, so not perfect, but amazing IMO for a car that will do a 4.8s 0-60 and 13.47s 1/4 (according to Dragy) at 9700ft DA.

Canít wait to tune it (which Iím beginning to lean more and more towards a JB4 since Iím under warranty for a long time).

-Rich

BTW - I briefly looked at the Redsport too. I liked it, but the S3 I bought popped up before I had a chance to drive one.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Since I seem to have diarrhea of the mouth, I’m going to throw out another comment Just did a 250 mile round trip and averaged 36mpg. Yes, that was via the onboard computer, so not perfect, but amazing IMO for a car that will do a 4.8s 0-60 and 13.47s 1/4 (according to Dragy) at 9700ft DA.

Can’t wait to tune it (which I’m beginning to lean more and more towards a JB4 since I’m under warranty for a long time).
    Yeah I'm thinking JB4 as well for the same reasons. That's great mileage too! Holy. I'm going to be sure that I drive everything first, but leaning heavily towards the S3.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky2 Click here to enlarge
    Q3 RS?

Actually, not out yet and probably over the price.

S3 sedan then.
    RS Q3 would be hilarious, can't wait until it's out.

Also there are some really cheap Infiniti 400 Red Sports around, so I must at least give them a fair shake, but the S3 just seems pretty perfect.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Alfa Giulia is not a car you buy...you better lease that one but its a cool and fun car.

What about an M2? Personally I would feel weird not getting the M2 competition to get the S55 but the normal M2 are pretty cheap now and are good cars.

I would not get the Infiniti, Nissan reliability has gone in the $#@!ter and something about that car doesn't drive very nice.

Used RS3 would be the tits though.
    Cadillac V2 CTS-V - 6MT - Lingenfelter upper pulley, Airaid CF Intake, Magnaflow exhaust, fluidyne H/X

Honda S2000 AP1 - White on red - 9000rpm vtec bruh

Porsche 991.1 PDK

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Payam@BMS Click here to enlarge
    Get any of those and add a JB4, you'll be satisfied. Click here to enlarge
    It is amazing how much the JB4 covers. World domination Click here to enlarge

-Rich

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2443 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The latest M340i appears to be a beast.
    Why haven't you tried it yet?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Why haven't you tried it yet?
    Wasn’t out yet when I bought the S3. Would have also been above my $45k threshold.

-Rich

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by subaru335i Click here to enlarge
    Alfa Giulia is not a car you buy...you better lease that one but its a cool and fun car.

What about an M2? Personally I would feel weird not getting the M2 competition to get the S55 but the normal M2 are pretty cheap now and are good cars.

I would not get the Infiniti, Nissan reliability has gone in the $#@!ter and something about that car doesn't drive very nice.

Used RS3 would be the tits though.
    Agreed on all points, figure I may as well try it though.

The only reason I'm not giving the M2 more of a look is that I need AWD where I live, especially for a DD.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Agreed on all points, figure I may as well try it though.

The only reason I'm not giving the M2 more of a look is that I need AWD where I live, especially for a DD.
    Where do you live? I would argue unless you live in the mountains you do not need AWD. Just good snow tires.

I drove RWD in Minnesota for years and years in the snow and it is more than fine.
    Cadillac V2 CTS-V - 6MT - Lingenfelter upper pulley, Airaid CF Intake, Magnaflow exhaust, fluidyne H/X

Honda S2000 AP1 - White on red - 9000rpm vtec bruh

Porsche 991.1 PDK

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by subaru335i Click here to enlarge
    Where do you live? I would argue unless you live in the mountains you do not need AWD. Just good snow tires.
    I live about an hour from the mountains, it snows ~9 months of the year here typically. For example, last year we had ~50 cm (19.7") of snowfall in October, and this is in a string of years with far less snowfall than usual. In my opinion, driving here for around 10 years, AWD is a must have unless you're OK with just not making it to work some days.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    243 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    It is amazing how much the JB4 covers. World domination Click here to enlarge

-Rich
    That's what Terry wants Click here to enlarge
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I live about an hour from the mountains, it snows ~9 months of the year here typically. For example, last year we had ~50 cm (19.7") of snowfall in October, and this is in a string of years with far less snowfall than usual. In my opinion, driving here for around 10 years, AWD is a must have unless you're OK with just not making it to work some days.
    This is why I work from home. But also live where it doesn't snow because 800+ whp to the rear tires is how life should be lived.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2443 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The Audi your best choice then unless you want to pay more for the M340i xDrive which you might as well test.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky2 Click here to enlarge
    This is why I work from home. But also live where it doesn't snow because 800+ whp to the rear tires is how life should be lived.
    Yeah...but you live in California...Glass houses and all, you know the deal. Click here to enlarge

No laws against mods, fully catless exhausts, laser interceptors and radar detectors, so we win some and we lose some.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast